Website Dream Adaptive
Winter Program Specialist
Status: Seasonal, November 2021-March 2022; 20 Hours/Week; Non-Exempt
Reports to: Program Manager
The mission of DREAM Adaptive Recreation is to enhance the lives of individuals with disabilities by providing year-round outdoor adaptive recreational opportunities.
Job summary: Uphold the mission of DREAM Adaptive Recreation by assisting in the facilitation of over 1,000 winter outdoor recreational lessons for individuals with disabilities ages 5 and up. Programs include Alpine Ski & Snowboard, Nordic Skiing, and events specifically for Military Veterans. The Winter Program Specialist is responsible for a wide range of hands-on duties that will directly impact the success of day-today operations.
The Winter Program Specialist is often the first person who greets volunteer instructors, participants, and family members prior to lessons. The role requires keen attention to detail with top-notch customer service skills. The program specialist will spend their winter facilitating programs and teaching lessons at Whitefish Mountain Resort and at the Whitefish Lake Nordic Center.
About the position: Under the direction of the program manager, the program specialist’s primary duties include:
- Assisting with on-site operations of winter programs that serve a wide variety of individuals with disabilities. This includes daily set-up and clean-up tasks.
- Facilitating individual and group lessons, which includes pre-meetings with volunteer instructors to review assignments, preparation of equipment and paperwork, greeting the participant(s), family members, or group coordinators, ensuring all safety protocols and policies are being enforced, checking in on new lessons, wrapping up lessons with the completion of proper paperwork.
- Functioning as part of the Program Team by assessing and delivering safe and quality snowsports instruction.
- Assisting in the setup, inspection, maintenance, and storage of program equipment including documentation.
- Upholding risk management policies and procedures related to programs, notifying Program Manager immediately of any incidents.
- Communicating efficiently and effectively daily with the Program Manager, as well as our volunteer team of over 100 individuals.
- Assisting with special events on an as-needed basis.
- Assisting with facilities and administrative tasks as assigned.
- Attending trainings/clinics both on hill and indoors.
- Maintaining good relationships with DREAM community and business partners.
- Being a positive and professional representative of DREAM in our community.
- Complying with all DREAM policies and procedures.
- Adhering to DREAM values and culture.
- Participating fully as a member of DREAM.
- Taking on other duties and projects as identified.
Qualified applicants must possess:
- A deep passion for outdoor recreation with the ability to working in an outdoor setting for long periods of time in all weather conditions.
- Experience working with individuals with disabilities and a desire to create an empowering, safe, and supportive environment.
- A current Level I PSIA-AASI ski/snowboard instructor certification. Level I Adaptive or higher preferred;
- The ability to assist in the maintenance, repair (or willingness to learn), and documentation of adaptive equipment and facilities.
- Excellent interpersonal, verbal, and written communication skills.
- The ability to work independently, make sound decisions regarding program operations and risk management.
- The ability to successfully manage multiple high priority tasks in a fast-paced environment.
- A high level of energy, enthusiasm, and initiative.
- Commitment to a positive, fun and team-oriented working environment.
- Excellent group facilitation and volunteer management skills.
- The ability to work flexible hours; schedule may include weekend work.
- The knowledge of various computer software programs such as Microsoft Windows, Word, Outlook and Excel
- The ability to lift and carry and carry a minimum of 50lbs.
- Current First Aid and CPR training (or willingness to obtain ASAP).
- The ability to clear a background check.
Hourly Wage: $17/hour
Benefits: Season ski pass to Whitefish Mountain Resort. Access to industry pro-deals. Paid opportunities for professional development.
Hours: Dependent on program schedule; may include weekend work. Will work with applicant on other part-time job commitments.
DREAM is an Equal Opportunity Employer and Prohibits Discrimination and Harassment of Any Kind: DREAM is committed to the principle of equal employment opportunity for all employees and to providing employees with a work environment free of discrimination and harassment. All employment decisions at DREAM are based on business needs, job requirements and individual qualifications, without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, veteran or disability status, or any other status protected by the laws or regulations in the locations where we operate. DREAM will not tolerate discrimination or harassment based on any of these characteristics.
To apply for this job email your details to email@example.com