Website National Sports Center for the Disabled
Intern – Winter Mountain
Location: Winter Park Resort, Winter Park, CO and some required business in Denver, CO
Department: Mountain Program
Reports to: Program Director
About the NSCD:
We are Colorado’s most comprehensive provider of adaptive outdoor experiences. We offer more programs, in more places, in more ways that change lives. The National Sports Center for the Disabled is a leading provider of adaptive outdoor recreation experiences committed to helping individuals with disabilities, their caregivers, and the broader community rethink ability. Through the power of adaptive innovation, recreation, and Colorado’s great outdoors, we are transforming lives, families and communities and creating a world that celebrates each person’s abilities.
Our exhilarating adaptive outdoor experiences help participants make the very most of their passion, their talents, and their aspirations. They discover a renewed sense of confidence, reignite the pure joy of play, and find motivation to try new things, meet new people and believe in their own abilities. With industry-leading adaptive equipment, renowned coaches, instructors and volunteers and unmatched mountain and metro programs, we change the perceptions of athletes of all levels and help them, and the world, #RethinkAbility.
The Winter Program intern gains a working knowledge of the NSCD programs and procedures. The NSCD intern will be trained in and assist with in implementation of adaptive sports, and therapeutic recreation, by facilitating alpine and Nordic ski lessons. The internship is based on the National Council for Therapeutic Recreation Certification (NCTRC) guidelines and requirements, where applicable.
The internship position is unpaid. We provide housing. Winter internships are from late December through mid-April. The duration of the internship can vary based on programming need and intern requirements. The commitment is a minimum of 14 weeks, for 32-45 hours a week, with workdays to include weekends and holidays. Majority of programing will be implemented at Winter Park Resort with opportunities around Grand County and the Denver Metro Area, as well.
- Daily interactions with participants of all ages and disabilities: physical, mental, behavioral
- Attend in house trainings including classroom and on hill segments.
- Assist with the planning, implementation and evaluation of winter adaptive programs including alpine, Nordic, custom groups, and camps.
- Completes an intern project agreed upon by the intern and intern coordinator that meets the educational criteria and goals of the internship.
- Assists with NSCD special events and NSCD fundraising efforts.
- Consistently follows safety procedures and utilizes appropriate safety equipment.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- Pursue PSIA/AASI certification in alpine or Nordic skiing or snowboarding.
- Adhere to all Personnel Policies and Procedures for the Agency.
- Maintain professional standards of performance, demeanor, and appearance at all times; act as a “role model” both at and away from the Agency.
- Maintain a creative, team-building approach to job performance and seek to bring a constructive, problem solving orientation to all tasks.
- Performs all tasks and responsibilities with attention to detail and in a complete and timely manner, complying with agency policies and standards and conforming to the scheduling requirements of the job and program.
- Maintain an awareness of the agency’s mission and work to promote the positive individual and social change goals it embodies.
- Exercise discretion and professional judgment at all times keeping with the responsibilities carried personally and by the agency for the care and welfare of the clients.
- Act with honesty and integrity in all aspects of Agency business.
- Actively strive to upgrade professional skills through engaging in appropriate professional training and experience.
- Actively strive to create and maintain a culturally sensitive environment through communication and interaction that demonstrates respect for diversity, socio-economic and cultural differences.
Other duties may be assigned
Education and Experience Required:
- College degree (or progressing toward it) in Therapeutic Recreation, Special Education, Exercise Science, Recreation Management, Adaptive Outdoor Recreation, Occupational Therapy or Physical Therapy, Physical Education, Social Work/Social Services, or related field,
- Ability to ski at an intermediate level (minimum level 6) alpine skiing and able to ski and access lifts independently.
- Experience working/volunteering in a service industry or with individuals who have special needs is encouraged.
- Experience working one on one with people who have a disability.
- Ability to follow directions and work independently.
- Must have a valid driver’s license and meet background check criteria to drive NSCD vehicle.
- Able to work a majority of the time outside at high altitude in varying conditions including uneven and slick terrain and unpredictable weather and situations.
- Physically able to assist participants with adaptive recreation equipment, position adjustments, transfers, and movement during activities.
- Able to lift a minimum of 75 lbs. with assistance.
- Dexterity, auditory and visual acuity to operate computers and phones or mobile devices.
- Auditory and visual acuity to interact with guests, students, clients on a daily basis.
- Able to successfully manage multiple, high priority tasks in a fast-paced and often times crowded and noisy environment.
- Possess a valid US driver’s license and meet criteria to drive company vehicles including 16 passenger vans and vehicles with large towing capacity, snowmobiles, surface, and aerial lifts.
- Specify your last and first name and position applying for in the subject line
- Application – found at www.nscd.org
- Cover letter answering the following questions:
- University currently attending
- Title of Course requiring an internship and hours required.
- Date range of internship request
- Describe current ski or snowboard ability
To apply for this job email your details to firstname.lastname@example.org